Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Challenge Ed Info

It was brought to my attention by half the class today that I did not have a date on the permission slip for Challenge Ed. I apologize. We are going on October 16. I will be sending home a short note with the date, what to wear and what to bring just as an additional reminder. However, I also wanted to address in the blog what Challenge Ed is.

On October 16, we will be going to Fegley Middle School where they have what is known as a "low ropes" course. The students will be doing a variety of activities outdoors for the entire day. These activities are designed to build community and promote a caring and supportive environment in the classroom. There are two facilitators that will go with us to run the program. They are Mrs. Engle, our P.E. teacher, and Mr. Lesich, a fifth grade teacher at Kyle. I am there to observe the dynamics and deal with any health or behavioral issues. This is a truly unique opportunity for students to interact with their classmates outside of a traditional classroom setting.

The program takes place outdoors, so students need to be prepared. No one will be allowed to go if he/she is not wearing long pants to school that day. Also, students must wear gym shoes. Depending on the weather, I suggest dressing in layers, especially since we are in a wooded area. Everyone will need to bring a lunch, too.

I'm hoping to get a camera for the day so that I can take some pictures and post them for the parents to see. It should be a fun and productive day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will the students be taking an AR quiz on Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing?

Mrs. Cannon said...

I haven't decided yet. I generally prefer to give my own comprehension assessment that is specific to the reading strategies that we have practiced in class, as well as general knowledge of the book.