Friday, December 5, 2008

Mini Mall is Coming!

I'm sure you have heard by now that our class is participating in Mini Mall. This is an experience where the children decide whether to provide a good or service for their fellow classmates. They may choose to make bookmarks, decorate pencils, or sell hand-drawn pictures. These would be goods. They may also choose to paint fingernails, sharpen pencils, or personalize items. These would be services. There are many, many choices. My only rules are that they may not sell food items (even if they meet the wellness guidelines) or resell their own belongings.

To further the learning experience, students will be earning and spending money. Each student started with $100 in mini mall money. They can earn more money by doing their Just Read and coming to school. They can also earn additional money for class stars and compliments. Their expenses include desk "rent," store "rent" (day of Mini Mall only) and goods/services tax. They are also fined for signing into the behavior book or not following procedures. My goal is to encourage them to think about pricing competitively yet for a profit.

Mini Mall will be Nov. 17 from 1:45-2:45 in the cafeteria. Students should have everything they need here that morning. They may also make advertisements and bring them in to put up beginning the week of Dec. 8. This is not a requirement. Please ask any questions via the comments on the blog, since I'm sure there will be other parents with the same question.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi mrs.cannon,

allison here. because of the stiches, i won't be able to be at shcool for the whole day because i have to keep my leg elavated so it doesn't bleed. my mom will bring me in to school for mini mall and i will ride the bus home. she will bring me in at about 1:30. i hope thats okay. i really dont want to miss mini mall so i will deffently be there after 1:30. thanks for your time.



allison (your talktive BUT favorite student:)

Anonymous said...

fdfdgfhgfgfjhgfgfgfhgfhgfjhgfgfgfgfgfhgfhgffhfhgfgjhMINI MALL IS AWESOME LIKE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TO MRS.CANNON

Anonymous said...

im you+r favorite student because i am smarticle. YOU CANT DENIE IT, I AM SMARTICLE!!!!!!!!!!! I had vibrating slippers on today. (hint,hint) HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE EVIL LAUGH!!! MHUA-HAHAHAHA YOU ROCK MRS.CANNON!!!!!!!! YR AWESOME!!!!! (i stole bradon's word!!!) HEE hee hee hee hee EVIL LAUGH!!!!!!! MHUA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Mrs. Cannon said...

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner. That is fine. We'll see you at 1:30. I hope you're feeling better!

Anonymous said...

Is school cancelled? I was wondering if I should come into school. It is Mr. L's last day in the classroom, and I have a gift for him and you, Mrs.cannon!! I'll have to wait until after christmas to give it to you and I won't be able to give it to Mr.L ever!!!! This is so not cool. :( And i didn't get a chance to say good-bye. Whaaa Whaaa

Mrs. Cannon said...

Yes, I'm sure you know now that school is closed. No need to worry, though. We'll get Mr. L. his gift. He has a job that he is starting on January 5, but maybe we can arrange something so that he can tell everyone good bye. Have a Merry Christmas, and I'll see you soon!